Locamatic 3.0 Feedback

Frequently Asked Questions, support and discussion for Locamatic. This is also the place for your feature requests.
bbezanson

Locamatic 3.0 Feedback

Postby bbezanson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Pascal,

First, thanks for the 3.0 version to test on Mavericks.

Good news: No crashes in Mavericks with the the current version of Locamatic.

Here is my set-up and maybe my issue/way I have to change things to work better.

I do have issues with Automatic choosing the right network setting when I move between home and work.

My Set-up
Mac Network Settings:

All of my Locations have Wi-Fi enabled - which displays a list of all wireless networks I have connected to - as you know :-).

In addition:
  • Automatic has a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and 4 VPN connections defined - I would use the Ethernet connection (for a specific IP address range at home). I would like to use the VPN profiles at home or anywhere (thus the reason they are in Automatic).
  • For Home, I have the same Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter defined and just one VPN connection I was originally testing - and then I created the 4 in Automatic to have them available "everywhere.
  • For work I have a USB Ethernet hardwired connection.
In Locamatic I have just defined Work to have the SSO for wireless at work, but there is no way that I can see to define the wired ethernet connection (or maybe to specify part of the IP address that is "work" - vs home.

So my issues is that when moving between locations, most/all of the time Locamatic just chooses "Automatic" for the Network profile. Works great going home from work, but usually when I get to work I am still manually changing the settings.

I guess my questions to you are:
  • Can I define an IP range for Automatic to use for work/home?
  • Should I move all of my VPN/Wired Ethernet settings from Automatic to Home in Apple's Network settings? Or create a separate VPN location - but ideally the VPN connections are used anywhere but my work location.
  • Am I missing a way to have Locamatic support wired ethernet connections?
  • What are plug-ins in Locamatic?
Thanks for the help,

Brian
bbezanson

Re: Locamatic 3.0 Feedback

Postby bbezanson » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm

One other item, when I enter in my licensing information I see the two green arrows appear that show everything validated, but after clicking OK and I assume saving that data, Locamatic still shows "Licensed to: Nobody".
pascalharris
Site Admin

Postby pascalharris » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm

The main problem with this Alpha version of Locamatic 3 is that the help files haven’t yet been integrated - that will come with the next version. If the help files were available, then you’d have the information you need to hand (I think).

Locamatic 3 does handle wired connections - in fact, your set up is quite similar to mine. For a wired connection, all you need to do is type in the Gateway (Router) IP address in the table where you’d enter your SSIDs for a wireless address.

There’s no way to assign an IP Range for Automatic - and there never will be. After all, there’ll always need to be a location to fall back on if all else fails. If you want a specific Home location then you’ll need to set one up. That said, I do like your Range idea - so maybe a future version of Locamatic will allow an IP Address range to be entered for a particular Location. At the moment, the only way to do this is to manually enter each IP Address that can apply to a given Location - not the most elegant solution!

As to Plug-Ins - that’s just a placeholder at the moment. The Locamatic roadmap is as follows:

1. Release a basic version of Locamatic with no plugin support, for a minimal cost. Hopefully this will happen soon.
2. Release a Pro version of Locamatic with plugin support for a higher price. This will take a little longer, but will (hopefully) happen before the end of Q2, dependent on the popularity of the basic version of Locamatic.
3. Release a template for plugins so that other developers can add their own functionality to Locamatic.
4. The licensing field will be fixed in the next release of Locamatic too - at the moment, you'll see that it shows as licensed to you when you reload the Preferences.

I hope that this helps.
Follow the 45RPM Software Blog http://www.45rpmsoftware.com/wordpress/?feed=rss2

Basim omnibus sunt nobis
bbezanson

Postby bbezanson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 pm

I have entered the IP addresses for my home and work locations last night/today.

I have not seen Locamatic actually switch the locations for the past few weeks, so I hope the IP mapping will help, because it seems just having the WiFi connections didn't work.

Let me know if there is something I can do more to help test Locamatic to force it back and forth -- thinking like turn off wifi and no hard wire connection, then set to automatic and turn on wifi at work and ideally locamatic would see the wifi available only at work and switch the location to work. -- Is that a workable way to test things?

Thanks,

Brian
pascalharris
Site Admin

Postby pascalharris » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 pm

The big job (when time permitted) was adding update functionality, and some other minor tweaks. I don't know that the problems you've been experiencing have been fixed - but give it a go. You never know your luck!
Follow the 45RPM Software Blog http://www.45rpmsoftware.com/wordpress/?feed=rss2

Basim omnibus sunt nobis
bbezanson

Postby bbezanson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:43 pm

I still have been having issues with 3.0 working. I upgraded to 3.0.1 the other day -- or did you have a 3.0.2 briefly up?

Anyway, I get an error trying to open the preference pane. I deleted it and downloaded the current 3.0.1 version and reinstalled and still get an error.

I removed and will search for where the configuration and associated files are to delete them and install cleanly.

[Feel free to let me know where Locamatic has files I should delete. ;) ]
bbezanson

Postby bbezanson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 am

An interesting thing.

I removed everything for locamtic: preference pane, preferences, and other support files.

AND I still couldn't install a new version.

My network setting was on Auto and I tried to put it to home -- and suddenly locamatic showed a notification that it changed it back to automatic. That's the first time I saw it work like that -- but I had removed it -- guess the removal hadn't killed the process from memory.

So I restarted and was able to install 3.0.1 alpha -- that is what your download link on the page currently points to.

New Issue: As soon as I opened 3.0.1 it told me there was a 3.0.3 version. I told it to download. It downloaded and said ready to install. I told it to install but it failed. I tried it a couple of times but no luck.

I'd like to try 3.0.3, but as I said your link points to 3.0.1 -- luckily you named them the same so I just copied the url, changed it, and downloaded 3.0.3.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Brian
pascalharris
Site Admin

Postby pascalharris » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Yup. It's a known bug, albeit a bloody annoying one - and especially for the poor bugger who has to fix it (that'd be me - :) ).
I thought that I'd squashed it in the latest release, but now I'm not so sure. Back to the drawing board. But I'll bet you that anyone who tries to update, and apparently fails, and who then restarts their computer will discover that the update was a success. Go figure.
It isn't an error on my part that the latest version is only available as an update. It's just the way it's gonna have to be until I get this update mechanism working. All part of the testing process, I'm afraid.
But thank you, and I mean it, for taking this test process so seriously. Good on you.

Basim omnibus sunt nobis
bbezanson

Postby bbezanson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm

I had to remove everything now and miss Locamatic. I'll try 3.01 and update. I had been directly downloading 3.0.3 instead :lol:
bbezanson

Postby bbezanson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:19 pm

Quick summary of today:
  • Removed all traces of 3.0.3 that I could find.
  • Rebooted.
  • Installed 3.0.1 for "All Users" - any issues that you know of between the 2 choices?
  • Note: I wasn't prompted for unsigned software. I did not reboot yet either.
  • Locamatic said 3.0.3 was available and would I like to install. I said Yes and it downloaded but then when I clicked the button to install it said a failure occurred. Repeated with the same results.
  • Rebooted. Was able to get into the 3.0.1 control panel and set my home and work IP/SSID values.
  • Note: I was NOT prompted to update - maybe because on my work network (firewall blocks most ports so update should use port 80 or 443).
  • Tried turning Locamatic on - the prompted me on an unsigned application.
  • Switched to security settings and seemed to get an endless prompt to approve - finally said let everything work. Prompts stopped.
  • Tried to go back to Locamatic settings screen and told it would not load. Ugh. And this is 3.0.1 still.
I'll try some more reboots but wanted to see if you had any other suggestions. I think I will go to lunch at BW3 and use the free open WiFi to:
  • Uninstall clean
  • Reboot
  • Allow all security apps to run
  • Install 3.0.1 only for myself
  • Configure 3.0.1 but leave off.
  • Check for updates to hopefully get 3.0.3 installed
  • Reboot
  • Turn things on
  • Try the setting panel and pray that it works.
  • Wait for 3.0.4 8-)
Thanks for the application.